My little boy and I had a toddler party to attend this weekend for a friend. She is turning two, and like last year, I decided to make her some clothes. I didn’t have as much time this year (goodness knows why not) so didn’t have time to make anything as complex as the ruffled top I made last year. So, simple skirts it was.
I found a pattern on the internet I liked and made it up. My toddler was safely in bed. Mistake. I tried it on him the next day and it was like a long pencil skirt. Something wrong happened, I think in the measuring. He didn’t like it as he couldn’t climb.
Anyway, I found another pattern – http://www.danamadeit.com/2011/04/a-simple-skirt-a-simple-tutorial.html – and quickly emailed my friend for her little girl’s measurements.
Here’s what you do – take the waist measurement and DOUBLE it. This will give you a nice full skirt. Then, take the waist to knee measurement and add a couple of inches for hems and waistband.
You should then have a rectangle of fabric.
Now, I went a bit wrong here in the making up, but the original instructions should be easy to follow.
My little boy was happily eating his snack as I was making these up – and he does love the sewing machine (phew) – and he can eat a lot so I managed to run up all three in snack time. Just about. These fit much better – a perfect size for a two year old. I made the fleece one a bit biggger as it is August here and thankfully we don’t have much call for fleece but we will in a few months time.
Beautiful, right??? (takes a bow, gets gold medal chocolate from bread bin).
These are really really simple – even when I went wrong I was able to rectify it quickly and you would never tell from the looking at it.
Crafty Roo bringing you this week’s make – a stack and whack play quilt for a baby.
I have been making quilts for some time and wanted to try a new method. I had a birthday last week and received many crafty books, one of which was Kirstie Allsop’s Craft. In this book, one of the first projects is a stack and whack quilt. It looked quite easy and interested and I wanted to see if I could use this technique as opposed to cutting blocks or strips which is how I usually piece my quilts.
Anyway, the book suggested making a template. I didn’t do this and wanted to get straight on with my cutting. I made a stack of five fabrics. I then cut two squares through all five layers, each six inches by six inches. Then I made four cuts into each square, giving five smaller piles of fabric for each square (10 in total). I labelled these carefully. Each pile of fabric was cut slighly differently, giving different shapes.
You then leave pile one as it is, take one piece the top of from pile two and put it on the bottom, take two from pile three and put it on the bottom, take three from pile four and put them on the bottom, put four from pile five on the bottom. Do this carefully and you will end up with five unique squares. Sew these together so you end up with ten complete squares.
Lay these out so that no two of the same fabrics are next to each other. You will have one square left over, which you can use on the back, if you like, or to make a matching cushion.
If I was going to do it again, I would cut bigger squares to start off with. Using only six by six squares made it very fiddly!
That is as far as I’ve got! I’ll try to update this with my next steps.