I think all the makes from now until the end will be suitable as gifts as I’m busy, busy, busy making things for friends and family for Christmas.
This week I’ve made fudge.
This recipe uses:
- 125g butter
- 1 can evaporated milk (410g)
- 4 tablespoons double cream
- 500g caster sugar
- 250g soft brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Line a baking tray with greaseproof paper or baking parchment.
1. Heat butter, milk and cream together in a large, heavy saucepan until it just starts to boil.
2. Turn the heat right down while you stir in the two sugars.
3. Turn the heat up again and bring the mixture to a rolling boil. Keep stirring or it will stick and burn to the pan. Boil it for about 25 minutes until it is roughly this colour:
4. You can test if it is ready to set in two ways. (There may be more but these are the ones I use.) Either pull the spoon across the bottom of the pan and if it makes the mixture part so you can see the bottom of the pan it is done. Or, drop a small amount into a dish of cold water. If it forms a soft ball that, if you push with your finger and it wrinkles, it is ready. I’ve tried to take some pictures of this below.
Sorry, the second one is a little out of focus.
5. When it is ready, take it off the heat and beat in the vanilla essence.
6. Pour into the baking tray and leave to set.